Director of Operations and Lead Hitting Instructor
Pitzulo has spent his coaching career in numerous places. He was the hitting coach at Boardman High School and Head Coach for the Astro Falcons before coming to Glaciers in 2012. At Glaciers, Pitzulo has coached numerous college baseball players throughout his time at Glaciers. Brett coached the Glaciers national teams for 4 years before becoming the Director of Operations. He now serves at the Director of Player Development at Youngstown State University. He played his college baseball at Otterbein College and Mercyhurst University.
“Brett has been a great mentor for me these past 5 years. He not only helped me develop the tools to become a division 1 athlete. But, more importantly he taught me the mental side of baseball and what it takes to truly be great.”
- Padraig O’Shaughnessy, YSU Baseball
"As a sophomore in high school I began hitting with coach Pitzulo I was a below average hitter at the time. With hard work and many hitting sessions I have transformed my swing and approach to be a successful division one baseball player.”
- Braeden O’Shaughnessy, YSU Baseball
“I began hitting with Coach Pitzulo at 13 years old. At the time I was a young player trying to develop. Coach Pitzulo worked with me for countless hours. He is the reason today I am able to call myself a division 1 baseball player.”
- Lucas Nasonti, YSU Baseball
13u Gabriel - Head Coach and General Manager
Graduated from Hiram College here I played 4 years of Division 3 Baseball. Joe has been coaching High School Baseball for over 20yrs now. Currently and for the last 9 years the Head Baseball Coach at Boardman HS. Joe has a 13yr old son, Joey, who goes to Canfield Middle School and has been part of the Ohio Glacier organization or the past 6 years and will continue to play for the 13U Glaciers this year. Coach Gabriel has has a passion for baseball loves to help young players get better. He looks forward to being with the Glaciers and helping the organization take positive steps to helping kids in the game of baseball.
Contact Information: 330-506-4732
Instructor and Head Coach of 13U Pitzulo
2012 District 10 Region Three Player of the Year. First-Team All Region Pitcher and Outfielder junior and senior years. All-District Outfielder in 2012. Pitched two seasons at JUCO Mercyhurst North East winning a regional and district championship. Received pitcher of the tournament for 2014 Regional Tournament. 2015 Second-Team all conference pitcher. Then went on to pitch for Division II Lake Erie College for two seasons.
Contact information: 330-718-0942
Instructor/Assistant Coach of 10u Swope
Became YSU's all-time strikeout leader on April 2, 2021, with the 266th strikeout of his career, breaking Aaron Swenson's previous record of 265, which had stood since 2010. Finished his career with 323 strikeouts, which ranks second in Horizon League history. Became YSU's all-time leader in games started with the 50th start of his career on April 9, 2021… Surpassed Blake Aquadro's previous mark of 49 starts, which had stood since 2013. Finished his career with 57 games started. Finished his career ranked third in YSU history with 318.2 innings pitched. Became just the third player in program history and the first since Swenson (2007-10) to reach 300 career innings pitched. Won Horizon League Triple Crown in pitching by earning the leagues best ERA, Strikeouts, and Wins. Won Horizon League Pitcher of the Year in 2021. Selected 1st Team All Horizon League in 2021. Selected 1st Team ABCA/Rawlings All East Region. Selected 1st Team All Horizon League in 2020. Broke the single season record for most innings pitched in a year with 105.1. Named Student Athlete Player of the Year for Youngstown State. Ranked 55th out of 200 in the country with ERA. Ranked 40th out of 200 in the country for strikeouts. Ranked 2nd on D1 Baseball top analytical pitchers in 2021. Played for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers in 2021. Graduated with 2 undergrad degrees in Marketing Management and Exercise Science. Earned his MBA in Digital Marketing in 2021. Team Captain for 5 years. Apart of the best season in YSU Baseball History going 32-24.
Contact information: (330) 312-1774
Jake Marinelli, a Northeast Ohio native, will be in his first season as an assistant coach with the Youngstown State baseball program in 2021-22. Marinelli most recently served as an assistant coach at Gardner-Webb in 2021 and has six years of collegiate coaching experience. With Marinelli on the staff in 2021, Gardner-Webb finished with a 29-23 overall record and a 27-13 mark in Big South Conference play. Marinelli was in charge of the program's camp administration and budget, assisted in summer placement for current players and assisted in daily practice plans and organization. He also worked on fundraising endeavors, which reached more than $50,000. Marinelli worked closely with GWU's catchers and coached first base during the 2021 season.
Marinelli spent the 2018-20 seasons as the head coach at NJCAA Division II member Mercyhurst North East, where Head Coach Dan Bertolini was the head coach for eight seasons. He led all aspects of the baseball program while building a regionally recognized recruiting network. Under Marinelli's leadership in 2019, 20 sophomores graduated and advanced to play at many different levels including USCAA, NCAA Division III, NCAA Division II and NCAA Division I. Mercyhurst North East closed in May 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to becoming the head coach at Mercyhurst North East, Marinelli served as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Mercyhurst, during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. While working closely with the Lakers' catchers and pitching staff, he helped lead the program to three consecutive top-10 national finishes. He organized and operated the program's recruiting network while assisting in fundraising that averaged more than $20,000 per season. Marinelli coordinated and facilitated multiple camps and showcases for prospective student-athletes and built relationships with professional coaches and scouts. He also coached and worked with multiple professional players during his tenure.
Marinelli served as the head coach of the Martinsville Mustangs in the Coastal Plain League during the summer of 2020. He built a roster of 30-plus players from across the country while organizing daily schedules and assisting in all aspects of game day activities. Marinelli communicated closely with NCAA coaches and followed plans laid out for each of their player's personal schedules. In addition, he served as the head coach of the Erie Steelheads 16u-17u Youth Baseball Organization from the summer of 2017 to the summer of 2019.
During his four-year playing career at Mercyhurst, Marinelli helped lead the Lakers to the program's first Division II College World Series appearance as a senior in 2015. The Lakers finished with a 40-11 overall record and were ranked fourth in the nation.
A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Marinelli earned a bachelor's degree in communication with a concentration in new media in 2016.
Contact information: (216) 212-4373
11u Struharik Instructor
- Graduate of Columbiana H.S (1981) All-State Athlete in Football, Baseball, Basketball, & Track.
- Baseball Scholarship- State College of Florida (1981-82) Starting CF on a team that finished 4th in Country (40-8).
- Baseball Scholarship-University of Kentucky (1982-84) Starting CF in both seasons in the S.E.C.
- Signed Professional Baseball with Pittsburgh Pirates (1984-86)
- Starting CF for Watertown Pirates NY, Led the team in Hitting (.394), Starting CF for Prince William Pirates VA
- Co-Head Baseball Coach Youngstown State University (1988-89) Team finished 43-45 in 2 seasons. Highest current overall winning percentage .489 next to Coach Rosselli’s of .642.
- Head Baseball Coach-Cortland Maplewood H.S. (1990-92) Overall team record of 34-12 in 2 seasons. The 91-92 team reached the first State Final 4 in school history.
- Ontario, Canada Regional Baseball Director-Doyle Baseball School (1993-95) Baseball Director of Baseball Camps, Clinics, Tournaments and Recruiting.
- Director of Baseball Operations-Youngstown Astro Falcons (1995-2000) Baseball Director of All Astro Babe Ruth, Class B, & National Teams. The 1999 National Team finished 3rd in Connie Mack World Series
- Director of Baseball Operations-Youngstown Express (2000-01) Baseball Director of all Little B & Big B teams. Head Coach of Great Lakes Summer Collegiate Team
- President of Baseball Operations-Line Drive Baseball Academy (2002-06) Directed teams in Little B, Big B, & Travel Leagues. Operated a facility that offered team and private lesson instruction in baseball and softball for all ages.
- Head Baseball Coach-Boardman High School (2001-06) 2001 played in Ohio State Final 4. (24-6 record). 2002 finished No. 1 in Ohio State Poll Div. 1 (26-4 record). Overall Teams 6 year records (116-57)
- Head Baseball Coach-Columbiana H.S. (2008-13) 2009,10, & 11 Teams State Ranked, 2010 Played in Ohio State Final 4, Overall Teams 6 year record (90-58)
- Assistant Baseball Coach-Boardman H.S. (2015-19)
- Ohio Glaciers Coach & Instructor- (2009-Present) Available for Team & Private Lessons in Hitting, Fielding, & Pitching. Over 33 years of Coaching & Instructing Experience
B.S in Education- (YSU-1988)
Master in Educational Leadership- (Westminster College-2020)
Cortland Maplewood-(1990-93), (Physical Ed.& Health)
Boardman Local Schools-(2000-present) (Physical Education)
Can be reached: 330-559-4459-cell